All Things Techie With Huge, Unstructured, Intuitive Leaps

Some Mobile HTML Tags Not To Use

When I developed my first mobile app, I googled some articles to make sure that I got it right. Several of the online articles told me to add the following mobile tags:

"meta name="HandheldFriendly" content="true" /"
"meta name="MobileOptimized" content="240" /"
"meta name = "viewport" content = "width = 240""
"meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes""

(Note: I couldn't use "<" or ">" because Blogger kept thinking that I was embedding HTML )

I did. I ran into problems. With these tags, they worked well on some mobile browsers, but they were preventing the scaling of the web page on others. The latest Android browser was problematic.

I was initially stymied by this, and in a flash of inspiration, I removed these tags and everything seemed to work well, both on the desktop computers, and all mobile devices including Blackberry.

I am wondering as to how useful that they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment