All Things Techie With Huge, Unstructured, Intuitive Leaps

Excel Spreadsheet ~ SUM formula doesn't work


OK so I had an Excel Spreadsheet.  I had a column that needed to be added up and the total displayed with the Formula SUM function.  I created the formula, and although I had a number there, when I changed the numbers that the sum was composed of, the result never changed.

I tried a whole pile of things.  I tried deleting the formula and recreating it.  I tried copying the column.  I tried copying the sum formula from other cells.  It was a real head-scratcher and hail-puller-outer.

So how did I solve it?  I selected the column, and then the cell properties and I assigned a Number Format to the cells.  Worked like a charm. The SUM formula now worked. It only took me a few weeks to figure this one out.  Damn Microsoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment